Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Top Three Ways Kids Can Be Better Writers!

Hello Parents, as well as fellow Overlords fans!  Even if you're not an author, I think that you can benefit from these three little tips to get yourself or your child to write more.  Let's face it, writing is not hard and getting your kids to do it is easy, if you know how!  We have a ton of experience with this area via our years of school and library interactions and the tips below can help your child tremendously!  How can we get this done?  Read on!

Tip #1: READ!  One way I stir my creative imagination is not by writing all the time, but by reading.  Let's face it, sometimes we authors simply cannot write any more at a given time.  Many times I have saturated my brain with battle scenes, monsters, and witty dialogue but enough is enough.  When I feel like I can't write another sentence, I put away my work and pick up that book I've been waiting to read.  Reading immerses me in someone else's world, taking me to a place that I have not personally created.

Parents, when your kids tell you that they don't feel like writing take them to the nearest book store and have them buy their favorite book or the next story in the series that they're reading.  You'll be surprised at how this new story will spark their imagination and get them back to that computer and writing to their hearts' content in no time!  Believe me, if it works for me it will work for them!

Tip #2: Organize  I preach this single point over and over in my workshops and seminars.  The easiest way to combat writer's block and fatigue is to organize your thoughts into smaller more manageable chunks.  If you have many thoughts, try story boarding.  This is what directors do for movies and TV shows.  Simply take a sticky note or index card and write one main idea per item.  When you can't think of anything else, take what you have written and organize them into a timeline.  From there, your story should take a major leap forward and your brain can begin filling in the blanks.

Another way is to create a bullet list of ideas in your favorite word processing tool (Microsoft Word or equivalent).  Again, reshape your list in a beginning to end timeline and you should have something concrete to work with.

Tip #3: Writer's Groups  Believe it or not, we authors are not always right! Sometimes the best way to work through problems is to talk it out with fellow-minded individuals.  Be it a fantasy-centric friend or classmate in your history class, bouncing off ideas on other people fosters deeper dialogue and a better understanding of problems or road blocks you might be encountering.  And students, parents and teachers are very good at listening, especially when it comes to helping their children learn.

For the aspiring authors out there, check your local library or community center for writer's group or book club meetings.  As I always say, we're all in this together and sometimes even the best of us need a gentle push in the right direction.

I hope these simple tricks help your child and yourself when you develop a case of writer's block or burn out.  These simple tricks can get you back to the pen and paper -- or computers for you tech savvy folks out there! -- and write that next great novel!

1 comment:

@motorcityauthor said...

When my son was very young I used to keep books around like my mother did. I would read to him and my sister would read bedtime stories to him. His favorite was Goldilocks and the three Bears. That's the only one he would ask for every night. I wasn't sure if he was going to read because he didn't express any interest at all. When he reached second grade he brought home a book that he had to read. He started reading like a pro. I was shocked. I asked him if he had memorized it and he said, "no mommy." My child could read but only when he got ready. He was reading and didn't miss a beat. I guess all that reading did soak in somehow.