Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Meet Jackie Hennessey, Creator of Venting Sessions

Day Two of our ARIA authors brings us to Jackie Hennessey, author and creator of Venting Sessions -- Where Mom's Can Let It Out!  Aside from her blog and book writing, Jackie is 100% mom, with stories to prove it!  

Mike:  Hi, Jackie.  I’m very excited to present another fantastic Association of Rhode Island Authors (ARIA) to my Overlords fan base.  Lots of questions, ok?  Here we go!

Mike:  Jackie, please introduce yourself to my Overlords fans with a little information about you and where you’re from.

Jackie:  Thanks so much for interviewing me. I would describe myself as an imperfect work-from-home-mother who finds humor in everyday, ordinary life. I’m the author of How to Spread Sanity on a Cracker, a gift book for moms filled with laugh-out-loud mommy whines and cheese dip recipes. My husband makes me laugh every day and we are both cheese lovers and chocoholics. (Thankfully, we jog.) When I’m not sneaking semi-sweet morsels from the pantry, I work as a pr consultant and blogger.

Something you might not know about me: My husband, Michael, and I met more than 26 years ago, when my family moved from Texas to East Greenwich, RI. (My dad worked for NASA, so we moved a lot.)  Michael and I went to two proms together and have embarrassing pictures (think tacky taffeta and big hair) to prove it. We got married and lived in Seattle in our 20’s. We loved it out there. But after nearly 10 years of being 3,000 miles from family, we decided to quit our jobs and move back to Rhode Island. Our son was two and I was pregnant again. The insanity that followed helped inspire me to write my first book.

I’m a native Texan with some roots and relatives in Rhode Island, so that provides me with a lot of material for my blog. http://www.ventingsessions.com My two children (soon to be 10 and 13) and over-grown Golden Retriever puppy also help inspire me on a daily basis.

Mike:  What are you working on these days and what’s the current status of that project?

Jackie:  When I’m not folding laundry, taxiing my kids around, or procrastinating on Facebook, I’m busy with my pr consulting business, blogging, speaking engagements and focusing on my second book. I’m in the process of finding a literary agent too. If you were to ask me this question last year, I was busy with a plethora of book signings and the inaugural Listen to Your Mother Providence Show. But this year, I’m more focused on my next writing project. (And sneaking chocolate chips from the pantry.)

You can check out my original reading, "The Horros of Shopping with Kids," from the Listen to Your Mother Providence show in 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIdGllCljrA

Mike:  Can you talk a little about your blog, Venting Sessions?

Jackie:  Venting Sessions (http://www.ventingsessions.com) is a light-hearted blog for moms, a place where they can let it out. It’s a place where I can vent about being a mom in my 40’s. Nine posts out of 10, I write about humorous things that people can relate to, from Spanx to over-40 Arm Dangle. I have a lot of moms tell me that they can relate. I love that they find my self-deprecating posts relevant. I thoroughly enjoy writing my thoughts about motherhood out loud. I can honestly say I’m living my bliss when I blog.

Mike:  What has been the most common response to your postings from other moms?

Jackie:  I love when moms tell me, “I have gone through this!” “I’m laughing my &**%% off.”“This is funny!” “Thank you for writing about this.” I’m also honored to have guest blogged on sites like Scary Mommy and BluntMoms and received thoughtful comments from women who have been in my shoes (and jeans).http://www.bluntmoms.com/confession-wear-mom-jeans/
I thoroughly enjoy connecting with readers in an authentic way.

Mike:  What is the biggest thing that you would like your fans to take away from your books and postings?

Jackie:  I’m just thankful that my sister-in-law isn’t the only one who reads my blog anymore. All I want is for people to enjoy my blog. I hope they can celebrate my imperfections and in turn, celebrate theirs. Parenting is stressful. Sometimes, all we need is a break and a chance to laugh at ourselves. There is no such thing as a perfect parent – thank goodness. I also get feedback from men that their wives enjoy my book and blog. Positive feedback makes me positively giddy.

Mike:  You’ve been a mom for a while now, right?  Any desire to write about something completely different other than the kids, husband, and the daily grind?

Jackie:  Yes. I have been a mother for 13 years and motherhood has been a big part of my life. I find so much joy in connecting with other women by writing about what I go through. I’m a woman who finds laughter in everyday things, from grocery shopping with kids to dealing with ever-changing tween lingo. (I’m just a Texas Valley Girl reciting John Hughes movie lines trapped in a 42-year-old mother’s body.)

I’m enjoying a new phase right now, something I like to refer to as the “sweet spot,” meaning my kids are out of diapers and I can enjoy traveling with them without going insane. I’m also over 40, which provides me with a plethora of things to write about, from back fat to never spending less than $100 at Target.

When I started out as a newspaper reporter in Florida after graduating from Texas A&M, my editor gave me my own column. I was ecstatic. And speechless. After staring at a blank screen, I asked him what he wanted me to write about, and he said, “Write what you know.” So I did, and, after building my career as a journalist and public relations professional in Seattle and pr consultant and writer in RI, I haven’t stopped. (Aside from folding laundry and taxiing my kids around.)

I hope to write about other things in the future and yes, I’d love to one day write a novel. But right now, I enjoy what I write about because it’s true and it’s totally me.

Mike:  Any upcoming projects we should now about?

Jackie:  After winning the Indie Reader Discovery Award for How to Spread Sanity on a Cracker in 2013, I felt inspired to take my dreams to the next level. I reprinted my book in color through Merrimack Media, started working with my writing coach on next steps and now I’m in the process of finding an agent.

Mike:  OK, time for some quick ones, ready?  Favorite movie?

Jackie:  I’m a movie buff. I was a movie reviewer in college at Texas A&M University, so this is a tough one. I love all John Hughes films, especially The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles. I crack up at anything with Will Ferrell and John Candy. I also thoroughly enjoy serious films like 12 Years A Slave. And I cried like a baby at Bridges of Madison County.

Mike: Favorite food or dish to make?

Jackie:  My Texas queso dip. It’s easy and fun to make. And I always enjoy seeing people drool over it with tortilla chip in hand at get-togethers. I’m also known for  making chocolate chip cookies. For dinner? Texas chili or salmon.

Mike:  Favorite place you have ever visited?

Jackie:  Jackson Hole, Wyoming. It was one of the most breathtaking places I’ve been in the states. My husband and I went cross-country skiing with friends who lived there after college. We passed by elk, bald eagles and other wildlife. It was amazing.

Mike:  Favorite music band?

Jackie:  There are so many! The Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Neil Young, Prince, Madonna. I even love listening to Katy Perry with my daughter. I saw Paul McCartney in concert last summer and it was like a dream come true. I was a music and movie reviewer in college, so again, this question is tough for me to answer.

Mike:  Favorite book, and no it can’t be one of yours!

Jackie:  One of my favorite books is The Help. I read it way before it was turned into a movie. I also enjoy reading books by Jeannette Walls and Marisa De Los Santos, author of Love Walked In. I’m currently re-reading The Saturday Wife by Naomi Ragen because I enjoyed it so much. And my all-time favorite author is Erma Bombeck. I used to steal my mom’s Erma Bombeck books and devour them when I was in my teens. I have been a fan ever since. Her take on the Loehman’s dressing room still makes me laugh out loud. She was a legend.

Mike:  Jackie, thanks for being such a good sport!  Is there anything you would like to leave my fans with?

Jackie:  Thank you for all of this! OK…Shameless self-promotion time: I hope people remember that my book, How to Spread Sanity on a Cracker, makes a fun Mother’s Day gift! I recently re-printed How to Spread Sanity on a Cracker in color. It also comes in black and white and Kindle e-book.

Seriously, when I released my first book, I had no idea how much I would enjoy connecting with other moms. In addition to ARIA, I’m a member of Rhody Bloggers, RI Digital Media Women, The Revelation Project, Listen to Your Mother Providence and Rhody Bloggers for Good. I’m so honored to be a part of these organizations. And I encourage fellow authors to join groups that inspire you. Go where you can be inspired by others.

I also write for The Barrington Patch and have an advice column at OnlineRI.com.

Mike:  Thanks for being such a good sport and sharing a little about you with my fans.  Please visit Jackie's blog and buy her books via the links below:

Blog and web site: http://ventingsessions.com/book



I invite you to connect with me here:


Contact info: Jackie Hennessey

http://www.onlineri.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great interview! And Jackie, I clearly remember your performance in last year's LTYM Providence - it was hilarious!

Unknown said...

You're such a force and inspiration. I feel so blessed to have read your book and seen you at LTYM.

Jackie Hennessey said...

Thank you, ladies, so much! Your comments INSPIRE ME. Happy Mother's Day!